Concrete admixture environmental product declaration
An Environmental Product Declaration (EPD) is a standardized way of communicating the environmental impact for a product or product group based on quantitative data from Life Cycle Assessment (LCA). EPDs are verified and certified by an independent third party.
EPD for Sika concrete admixtures are developed by EFCA and available for the most important product groups. EFCA EPD’s for:
- Plastiment® / Plastocrete
- Sikament® / SikaPlast®
- Sika® ViscoCrete® / Sika® ViscoFlow®
- SikaRapid® / Sigunit® / Sika® Antifreeze®
- SikaAer® / Sika® WT
- Sika® Retarder® / SikaTard®
‘Green building’ certification programs
Over recent years, several countries and organisations have developed environmental certification programs for buildings, like LEED, BREEAM or DGNB. Practical experiences together with their new findings have led to continuing adaptation and extensions of these programs.
The criteria for the different programs are similar, whilst the evaluation can still differ substantially. Most Green Building Certification Programs focus on assessing whole buildings, rather than individual building systems or products.
Sika Concrete Admixtures can contribute to making concrete fulfill several requirements within these programs, such as:
- Concrete durability
- Pervious concrete for storm water design
- Recycled content in concrete (aggregates or supplementary cementitious materials)
- Reduction of concrete impacts, optimization of cement content and type