Fibres are an ideal ingredient for improving the performance and durability of concrete and mortar. They increase energy absorption and fire resistance, whilst reducing shrinkage crack, fracture formation and crack widths.
The Sika range includes these new fibre brands – including micro, macro and steel fibres:
- SikaFiber® Enduro®
- SikaFiber® Novocon®
- SikaFiber® Novomesh®
- Sika® Fibermesh®
- Sika® Fibercast®
The strength of fibres
Cracks can occur at different times during the life of concrete. In the beginning during the hardening process, the main concern is early-age shrinkage cracking. With older, hardened concrete, stress cracks can occur from loading.
If cracking in the concrete does occur, then the elastic (E) modulus of the fibres is crucial, because it defines the resistance of the fibres against deformation.
The benefits of fibre reinforcement
- Less cracking due to early-age shrinkage
- Better cohesion in the fresh concrete
- Higher flexural and shear strengths
- Improved load capacity and ductility
- Increased abrasion resistance
- Increased fire resistance
- Potential to reduce CO2
Different fibre types are used to deliver different performance requirements. Short, thin synthetic fibres are used for fire protection and crack reduction, whilst long synthetic or steel fibres generally come into play to increase energy absorption. Sika provides solutions for all eventualities, as well as other special types and blends of fibres.
- Enhance concrete in its hardened state
- Provide ultimate performance under intense loading conditions
- Increases flexural strength
- Increases impact resistance
- Increases durability
- Increases tensile strength
- Reduces plastic shrinkage cracks
- Reduces plastic settlement
- Reduces bleeding
- Alternative to crack control mesh